Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ruse Contre Ruse

Quote: Renart, lui qui trompe tout le monde, se vit trompe cette fois-la.

Synopsis: This story is about a young man named Renart who tricked a rooster into singing so that he could steal him away. While he was trying to get away with the rooster the owner stepped outside and spotted him. Seeing as how she could not stop him she made a huge commotion so that her neighbors would help her out. As Renart was getting away with the rooster he turned around to talk to his chasers and the rooster got away! So in the end tricking the rooster was not worth it.

Reader's Response: I loved this story. It was funny and easy to read. I think that the moral of this story was that no good comes from lying and trickery. In the end Renart was outwitted by the same rooster he thought he was better than.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I appreciated the art of rhetoric that both the rooster and the fox (also found in the story with the fox and the wolf) cunningly wield to either ensnare or use for protection. It was like a verbal game of tennis -- and fun to watch.

Valerie said...

The line that stuck out to me the most was "Le fou est celui qui attend d'etre pris pour prendre peur," said by the wife of Chantecler. It's an interesting philosophy and is good advice for chickens who are talking to predators, but I don't think I like it for an overall attitude in life. How are you supposed to live your whole life in paranoia?

Seth Howell said...

Thought the story was very funny. Loved how Renart talked Chantecler into singing. I was glad though that he got away in the end and wasn't eaten. I guess we should never trust someone that wants to eat us!

Reese Loveless said...

I thought it was funny what the wife of Chantecler said to him about he who waits to be caught before being afraid. It's a good example of how we let our pride block out the things of importance. Chantecler got lucky though, and got away from the fox.

Trent said...

I enjoyed the story. It reminded me of one of a childhood favorite titled the "Fox and the Crow". Flattery was a main theme in the text. I think that the fox is like a bad friend. A friend that would use you to accomplish something and then drop you as soon as he got it. With that said, this story also illustrates that old phrase, "what goes around comes around". I enjoyed this text's humor and irony.

Daniel Joseph Anderson said...

I thought its interesting to see stories like these in all sorts of cultures. Using animals in Fables are a common method of teaching children about human behavior. I suppose such images are used because often we see animals in the same context. Ex: The Fox is usually always depicted as a cunning trixter.