Saturday, September 12, 2009

Francois Villon

Quote: "Excusez-nous, puisque nous sommes trepasses, aupres du fils de la Vierge Marie, de facon que sa grace ne soit pas tarie pour nous, et qu'il nous preserve de la foudre infernale."

Synopsis:
Ballade Des Dames Du Temps Jadis: The author talks about the beauty of the women such as Alcibiale, Thais, Heloise and La reine Blanche. Each woman has their personalities and characters. For example: La reine Blanche comme lis, qui chantait a voix de sirene.

Regrets D'Une Jeunesse Folle: This is story of a person who regrets his/her life after realzing that he/she wasted his/her time for things that didn't really matter. He/she wished could turn the page for something good, he/she would do well in school and would have bought a nice house and bed.

Ballade Des Pendus: This is a story of dead people who ask for forgiveness of those who are still alive. The dead spirits asked not to condemn them because of their past, but instead to plead justice for them in the name of God so that the grace of Jesus may be upon them.

Reader's response: At the beginning I said there is no way I would take any Shakespeare classes. It took me awhile to understand the first part. You have to think outside of the box sometimes in order to understand these poemes. I like how the author described the beauty of the women. How unexperienced we are during our youth stage of life. What a beautiful concept is forgiveness when it comes to someone who has done something wrong to you.

5 comments:

Natalia said...

My favorite poem was the Regrets D'une Jeunesse Folle just because I thought it was interesting and that could be something that we all can relate to. That said I love the repetition in the Ballade des Dames Des Temps Jadis. I always feel like it is a more legitimate poem when authors use things like repetition. Ballades des Pendus was good but I found it hard to love it because I couldn't relate to it. i know they were talking to the survivors so they could be forgiven for all their past wrongs but at the same time I felt like the dead spirits were being selfish. I didn't get a sense that they were really sorry for what they had done in their other life. If those spirits were alive would they be asking for forgiveness?

Tammy said...

I'm with you Nat, but I really like Ballade des Pendus. Is it my tendency to like morbid things? I enjoyed the image of the bones that have been cleaned and cleansed, albeit by the elements and other natural, brutal means -- okay, it is pretty ghoulish, isn't it!

Valerie said...

I too really liked the repetition in Ballade des Dame du Temps Jadis, especially of the line, "Mais où sont les neiges de l'autre année?" I don't know if this is what the author intended, but I interpreted "les neiges" to be the purity and virture of the women of "jadis," which is such a beautiful and concise way of using imagery to depict these women.

Seth Howell said...

I'm with Tammy on this one. I really liked Ballade des Pendus. It was really descriptive but it painted a very good picture in my mind.

Reese Loveless said...

I really like the ballade des pendus also. The way that the author describes the bodies is really detailed. And he describes it in a way that you can really imagine the bodies. And in a lot of the ballad's there was reference to the virgin Mary. She definitely influenced a lot of literature.